Saturday, October 31, 2015

       As we welcome November and the many blessings it holds, guidance classes are diving into responsibility and respect.  I love teaching these character traits to the students.  In searching for a guidance program, when I was first hired in 2012, I looked at a variety of programs.  From pillars to habits, I have come to the conclusion that our Guidelines for Success are the best traits or habits to teach!  The kids may think I'm crazy because I sometimes get so enthusiastic when teaching, however I really do feel that they can become successful Catholics by following them.  So I will continue to teach these guidelines with excitement!
     The students at the 4-6 Campus will focus on having responsible actions.  There are so many facets to this concept.  A person can be responsible for the well being of another person.  Or the responsibility may focus on something more concrete, such as homework.  And there is responsibility for a person's own behavior.  Teaching kids to be responsible for their actions is so difficult but beneficial.  In searching for parenting advice on this subject, I came across an article on Dr. James Dobson's website, Focus on the Family.  This article has some practical tips for teaching children how to be responsible for their behavior: http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/schoolage-children/curbing-the-blame-game-and-getting-rid-of-excuses. The 4th grade students will continue making their guidance books while the 5th grade students will be doing a fun activity while learning about responsible behaviors.  The 6th grade students began the anti bullying curriculum titled "Hero in You" last month.  They will have their second lesson in November. 
     The K-3 Campus is focusing on showing respect.  In teaching this trait, I have observed that students can give excellent examples of respect but struggle to define respect.  From a biblical viewpoint, I try to explain that we are made in the image of God and because of this we are all valuable.  Kids can relate to something being valuable.  "What is your most prized possession?"  When asked this question, kids can think of that special item that they cherish.  They are able to understand that some things are valuable because of how much money it may have cost or because it came from someone who has since died.  You can almost see some light bulbs come on when we talk about treating someone with respect because they are valuable because they are made in the likeness of God!  Here is an article I found on teaching respect to our children http://club31women.com/2015/03/3-good-reasons-i-wont-let-our-kids-disrespect-me/.  K-3 parents be on the look out for pictures, from the guidance classes, to be uploaded to the Seesaw app.  It's another new technology endeavor that I am trying!
     I wish everyone a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!  Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the (estimated) 700 blessings gracing our hallways.  As always, please feel free to comment or email me at kim.bennett@owensborocatholic.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment

       Hey April, I'm loving your weather!   I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter and great spring break!  We are on the down hill sli...